Kalan Sherrard (Facilitating)
Kyla Moore (left 8:06)
Jon Harmatz (late 7:30)
Justin Brogden (late 7:30)
Dean Linda Gates
7:09 Senators check in.
Minutes and Agenda
7:14 Approved agenda and minutes amended.
7:16 Kaln Sherrard reported that a student asked about the possibility of donating food leftovers to a church. Dean Gates reported that Christ Episcopal Church has a hot meals program, and designed to feed the needy, Shannon Ikebe suggested that the student contact Michele Gross.
Working Group Reports
7:18 Alix Simonson reported that she attended dining committee. At that meeting Michelle Gross presented a new proposal regarding the hours of operation of the Decafe. The Decafe would be open proving full service from 9AM-8PM, but only groceries would be available from 8PM-11PM Monday through Thursday. Decafe would provide full service on Friday's from 9AM-11PM, and on Saturday and Sunday from 4PM-11PM. Alix Simsinon also reported that she will be meeting with Dean Gates on Monday to disucss the issue and highlighted that she still has not been given access to financial information regarding the volume of business done through Decafe.
7:20 Matt Presto reported that he sent out a final draft of the charter to the Investment Committee and the full Board of Trustees. He reported that he had received some feedback on the charter from Board Chair Robert Lemlee. The Investment Committee will be voting on the charter later in May before the full meeting of the Board of Trustees in June.
7:21 Luke Squire reported that Calendar committee met, and the soonest that a change will be implemented in regards to the length of reading period is for 2010-2011 academic year. The committee will be meeting again next Saturday at 10AM.
7:21 Reshard el-Shair reported that the referendum is 47 votes away from quorum and will send out a few more announcements this week. It was process suggested, and approved, that Andrew Watiker work with Reshard el-Shair to certify results of the referendum. Also process suggested, and approved, that Luke Squire report on tentative results of buy survey to transportation and other related committees overseen by the office of Sandra Hodges.
7:25 Jules Brouillet reported that the working group had talked with Peter Zabo about his work on the planning commission, and had also discussed main street dining issues. Jules Brouillet also reported that the East College Street project had a parking lot approved, and set an agenda for the meeting with Sandra Hodges on May 15th. AS inquired as to the letter we offered to write with Pete Zabo to the planning commission regarding new parking lots, and Jules Brouillet reported that Pete Zabo will write the letter when the referendum reaches quorum.
7:29 Jules Brouillet reported that there is a town gown relations meeting tomorrow at 4PM, and to RSVP with Maggie Robinson. It is specifically part of the quarterly meetings the college is having as a result of the mediation with Saul Green.
7:30 Cristina Rodriguiez reported that there is a meeting with members of the science department regarding their policies surrounding animal experimentation.
7:33 Kyla Moore announced that the working group regarding race issues resulting from the Mexican party met. She reported that the group will work to allow students to have more of a say in the hiring of certain administrators, to have educational events regarding race issues during orientation and direct students to specific trainings around race related issues, to change cultural diversity requirement so students study cultural diversity issues, and ensure that new hires receive an element of training around race and minority issues. Se also reported on the "speak out" organized by "the coalition". At this event, students expressed their reactions to events on campus, experiences with racism, and students highlighted the goals of the coalition. Kyla Moore also reported that there is pledge that students can sign in Azariah's regarding this issue. Dean Gates reported that these events were received well, and were well attended. Some senators reported that students and others have expressed concern regarding making cultural diversity requirement different and mandatory in a way so that students have to study minority issues. Senators expressed support for events that are ongoing, and Leah Pine reminded Senate that this is an long term issue that Senate should be involved with. Ben Klebanoff informed senate that students used to have to go through anti-racism training, which were viewed to be largely unsuccessful and cautions Senate to look and see what events were done in the past when planning events for the future. Reshard el-Shair informed senate of his belief that social justice institute program was largely successful because students want to be a part of the program, and suggests that making this event mandatory would make this program less successful.
7:55 Jules Brouillet reported that he met with students from Bucknell University to discuss their bike sharing program. Reported that issues surrounding parking at Bucknell are very similar to issues at Oberlin. Their bike sharing program is managed by the Bucknell student government. He asked senators who were interested to talk to him.
Student Union Board
7:57 Leah Pine reported that she attended interviews for the Student Union Board, with Chris Baymiller, Mikayla Layton, Megan Mitchell, and Emily Wachowiak. The group came to a consensus regarding the individuals who applied. Proposal (1) by LP to appoint: Sarah Chase, Dory Trimble, Pablo McConnie-Saad, Meredith Simon-Pearson, Gabriel Stewart. Leah Pine described the qualifications of the candidates, and endorsed all of their appointments to the Board.
8:03 Voting on Proposal (1) passed, 13-0-0.
Student Finance Committee
8:03 LP reported that reappointment interviews were conducted last week, and more appointment interviews will be conducted this upcoming week. Proposal (2) by AS to table appointments until all other candidates have been interviewed.
8:05 Discussion of reappointment interviews that had been conducted. Nick Adell, Ian Seely, Ted Waddelow were interviewed. Nick Adell and Ted Waddelow had particularly strong reappointment interviews, and several senators suggested they should be reappointed immediately.
8:09 Proposal (3) by Reshard el-Shair to reappoint Nick Adell and Ted Waddelow, and make other appointments at next meeting. Many senators voiced concerns over reappointing Ian Seely. Reshard el-Shair voiced concern that with many new applicants their might be a severe lack of experience on the future SFC, and he would like to ensure there is some institutional memory.
8:15 After approval voting, it was decided to vote on Proposal (3) first, voting on Proposal (3) passed 13-0-0.
Brett Foreman points
8:19 Proposal (4) by Ben Klebanoff to censure Brett Foreman. He outlined the following specific rational for the censure: failure to distribute time cards, failure to distribute work logs, failure to fulfill promise made in a proposal at last plenary session, failure to attend general faculty meetings, failure to attend committee meetings, failure to ensure that senators get paid, and failure to attend Fagerstrom working group meetings. Leah Pine outlined belief that Senate should not issue a censure unless a senator accumulates points. Kalan Sherrard outlined the rational in the bylaws for censuring a senator includes many things beyond point accumulation. Luke Squire outlined his belief that Brett Foreman had failed to meet promises to Senate and individual senators. Jon Harmatz outlined that he was not able to do his job because of Brett Foreman's failure to distribute work logs.
8:26 Tabled the issue until Brett Formena arrived at the plenary session, or until the rest of agenda is finished.
Bottled Water Issues
8:27 Shannon Ikebe informed Senate that CDS will Establish a new water fountain in Wilder.
8:30 Proposal (5) by Shannon Ikebe that the Senate make known its support CDS' process to gradually phase out the provision of bottled water from campus and the liaison contacts Michelle Gross with this statement, and to send this statement to The Review also. Ben Klebanoff voiced his opposition to the resolution, and expressed his belief that students should be able to choose whether or not to purchase bottled water. Other senators expressed support for the proposal.
8:35 Voting on Proposal (5), roll call vote:
6-2-4 failed due to a lack of support
It was noted that this proposal did in fact pass in accordance with the rules of the feminist process. The proposal was considered passed and acted upon.
Internal voting procedures
8:39 Shannon Ikebe detailed that he has an issue with the fact that abstentions are not considered a non-vote. Alix Siminson voiced support for the idea that proposals be approved by a majority of the senators present. Leah Pined suggested that abstentions could reflect a senators rational for making an abstention, is a senator wants their rational reflected in the minutes, Shannon Ikebe expressed support for this idea, and suggested that senators should be able to provide rational for all votes. Ben Klebanoff expressed his belief that proposals from a body as small as senate should not pass without the majority of the entire senate.
8:45 Proposal (6) by Leah Pine to write bylaws language allowing senators to explain the rational of their vote, so that those who "abstain" can make an explanation regarding their vote to the secretary. Kalan Sherrard expressed that this might be a passive aggression action, and senators should discuss things before senate votes on an action. Shannon Ikebe reinforced his belief that their needs to be a way for a senators vote to not be counted. Some senators expressed that some senators have abused use of abstentions. Kalan Sherrard suggested that senators can functionally not vote by leaving the room. Jules Brouillet expressed support for allowing senators to explain vote especially in light of use of roll call voting, as well as support for current system. Many senators expressed disagreement with idea of re-voting on proposals.
9:05 Voting on Proposal (6) passed 10-2-0.
9:06 Leah Pine reported that "Reclaim Lorain" did a lot of work to register people to vote. The organization wants to coordinate a chapter to operate at Oberlin, and Laura Rios, a representative of the group, was unable to come to plenary session but wanted to discuss the idea with the rest of Senate. Leah Pine expressed hope that Senate could be involved with this group. Luke Squire wondered how Senate should involve themselves in local politics, but hopes city liaisons could work with this group.
9:12 Reshard el-Shair suggested that issues between SFC and Senate are largely a result of proposals made between the organizations, without discussion between the organizations. Proposal (7) by Reshard el-Shair to create a working group that would discuss issues brought up in either area before addressed by the respective organization. He suggested that the group should look over proposals made up of members between the groups. AS suggested that this should be the responsibility of the Senate's liaison to SFC. Reshard el-Shair informed senate that SFC voted down proposal to approve of proposals from the office staff before these proposals are made to Senate. Ben Klebanoff suggested that senators were opposed to seeing things from SFC not on principle but only because that the proposals were made so that Senate was not informed that these issues would be coming on to the agenda before the meeting, and senators expressed agreement with this idea. Leah Pine suggested that creating a group would not hurt Senate. Alix Siminson expressed her belief that the creation of this working group would create a hurdle between these organizations and would not improve the relationship.
9:28 Voting on proposal (7), passed 9-2-0. Alix Siminson joined the working group.
Brett Foreman points
9:31 Issue brought up again as per process suggestion. Proposal (4) friendly amended by Leah Pine to censure Brett Foreman additionally since he accumulated 23 points by not attending this weeks plenary.
9:34 Justin Brogden suggested that other senators deserve censure, and that perhaps senators are only voting because of individual feelings. Luke Squire outlined his belief that actions of other senators have not impeded senate's function in the same way as Brett Foreman's actions. Senators expressed agreement with this sentiment, and senators suggested that other senators could be held more accountable for their actions. Andrew Watiker suggested this issue adds to the importance of maintaining number of points senators accrue on website, and writing emails to senators who have accrued points. Jon Harmatz responded that he sent BF an email informing him of the amount of points he accrued. Other senators expressed how Brett Foreman's lack of action has resulted in lack of needed finances, and how finances provide ability to serve on Senate. Andrew Watiker mentioned that a censure will appear on Google searches.
9:54 Secret ballot vote requested on proposal (4). Voting: Yes--11, No--1, Passed.
10:03 Proposal (8) by Leah Pine that Brett Foreman provide evidence for Senate to not be censured within 24 hours, that if this done the Senate can rescind the censure via confidential online vote, and would not inform the Review of the decision. In discussion senators suggested that Senate would have nothing to be ashamed of in this action and the vote should stand, other senators expressed their belief that Brett Foreman should be allowed to respond to allegations outlined in the censure.
10:12 Voting on Proposal (8) passed 8-2-1
10:13 Proposal (9) by Leah Pine to appoint Luke Squire to a full year term to the calendar committee. Passed 9-0-1
10:14 Proposal (10) by KS to make next plenary session optional. Failed, 4-5-2
Facilitator for next week--Matt Presto
10:14 Senators check out.
Justin Brogden--to wrap up school year
Jon Harmatz--to determine what is going on with work logs so points can be fully allocated.
Matt Presto--to finish school year.
Leah Pine--to graduate college.
Ben Klebanoff--to update bylaws.
Luke Squire--to create Senate scrapbook, and develop state of the Senate address.
Jules Brouillet--to develop charter for office of student communications, to attend city council meeting, and to attend town gown meeting.
Cristina Rodriguez--to work with town gown, and discriminatory activities working groups.
Kalan Sherrard--to help ensure meetings get facilitated more effectively.